The Watsons

The Watsons
Cal, Michelle, McKenna, Cassidy, Ben, Cole

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mount Evans-Colorado

On Father's Day we went for a ride to Mount Evans in Colorado. At the peak it is 14,262 feet above sea level. Read more about it here. It was absolutely amazing. We left 90 degree Denver and arrived at about 40 degrees on top. It's full of switch-backs and I was so grateful to NOT be driving. We saw lots of mountain goats, big horn sheep, and pika. It was a lot of fun. If you make it to the Denver area, be sure to add this to your list of things to do. Here is a picture of a tiny kid with his mom. Adorable!

Look at his darling little eyes.


It was a bit chilly and windy at the top.
Brett, McKenna, Cassidy, and Alex checking out the view.

Lucas exploring an old fort that was built there.

The girls were amazed at how friendly and CLOSE the mountain goats were.


Steve's little boys explored on the rocks. Our girls were a little more timid.



Further down the mountain, we stopped at a lake. There was a wild herd of Big Horn Sheep, hanging out in the parking lot.


Here is a picture of a pika. I think these fat little critters get fed pretty well.


Here is a picture of Steve and Catherine's family with the exception of Matthew. He was warming up in the car with my kids.Here Ben and I are hanging out at the peak. So glad I brought a blanket. Ben still wasn't feeling very well. He may have even had a little elevation sickness. I had a headache up there. Catherine was seeing spots, and little Alex got sick to his stomache and very tired. It's amazing how the elevation can cause those problems.
I had to use the fascilities (what do you expect from a pregnant girl?). Ben waited patiently outside the door. This picture cracked me up because I didn't know Cal had taken it until I was looking through the camera later on.

0 comments: